Testing Your Vision with the Amsler Grid
In order to detect even small changes in your vision, your eyecare professional may recommend that you check your vision daily by using an Amsler grid like the one pictured below.
1. Wear the glasses you normally wear when reading.
2. View the chart at arms distance and cover one eye. With the uncovered eye, stare at the white dot in the center of the grid.
3. To view the chart at the proper distance, slowly move in toward your monitor until one of the two red ovals FIRST disappears.
4. During the entire test, you should have one eye covered, stare at the center of the grid and only see one red oval.
5. If your eye is functioning properly , you should be able to see the center white dot and the four corners and sides of the grid. The lines should appear to be straight and continuous from top to bottom and side to side.
Note if there are any holes or blurry spots, or if the lines appear to be wavy, fuzzy, crooked, distorted or broken. These are indications of macular degeneration.
6. Now test your other eye.
**This test is not intended to replace the advice and care of your eyecare professional, but has been made available for educational purposes.